Friday, February 15, 2008

The Interweb


I am on the internet every day, both for fun and for work, so it's hard for me to imagine what it was like before it was around. I also have a terrible long-term memory, so that doesn't help.

The first thing I can remember about the internet was using AOL IM. My whole family used one screen name, "kizzoo2". I remember logging on when I was younger and one of my dad's friends from work would always IM me to talk to my dad. It was weird.

I also remember Expage.com. Everyone had an Expage back in middle school. The 'popular kids' would write about who all the 'hotties' were. I never entirely understood what the point of that was. I had a website, and it was much better than all the other kids'. Mostly because I wasn't popular and spent way too much time online, learning HTML and that sort of thing.

Nowadays there are sites like Myspace and Facebook, so no one has to be creative anymore. Or learn any kind of code. But I guess that makes what I do know somewhat valuable. Who knows...

No comments: